History of Daraga
The word DARAGA according to legend, refers to a kind of tree which grew in abundance especially on the top of a hill where now stands its famous church.
The term Daraga, means maiden. During the 12th century, most of the migrants are traders and settlers. When the Spaniards came headed by Capt. Juan de Salcedo, they name the village Budiao, then giving birth to Cagsawa. In 1857, evangelization of the place and improvements were undertaken by the Franciscan missionaries. In 1595, Cagsawa was raised to the category of a “visita”, but attached to the town of Camalig. Fr. Alfonso de Jadraque was the first Parish Priest of Cagsawa. On June 12, 1872, the Spanish Governor General Simon de Anda transferred Cagsawa to a new settlement once called Salcedo and later renamed Daraga. In 1815, a government for the town was formally organized with Venancio Espiritu Salomon as first appointed Captain. Under the Becerra Law of 1892, Daraga became a district of Legazpi City. In 1922, Daraga regained her autonomy as ordered by the Philippine Assembly. On December 14, 1948 under Republic Act 306, Daraga was again incorporated to Legazpi City to become a district. On June 8, 1954, R.A. 993 was passed creating the Municipality of Daraga. In 1959, the name Daraga was changed to Locsin. On June 17, 1967, under R.A. 4994 Daraga was restored her name. in 1973 under PD 125 Daraga was declared a district of the City of Legazpi but this was yet to be implemented.